Holiday Gifting Tips for Retailers
The holiday shopping season is upon us, and that means you need to focus on being the best source of gift giving for consumers.
Here are tips for marketing and merchandising gifts:
- Make it easy for the shopper – Focus on Gifts by Recipient
- Gifts for mom
- Gifts for him
- Gifts for kids
- Gifts for your fur babies (pets!)
- Gifts for clients
- Gifts for neighbors
- Gifts for the hostess
- Consider fun listicles in article or slideshow format like “Top 5 Gifts for Your Frenemy,” “Our Top 10 Favorite Gifts to Give…and Receive,” “15 Gifts Your Teenager Won’t Hate” or “12 Books Even the Scariest Mother-in-Law will Adore!”
- Include lower cost items – Average Order Size drops during the holiday season, so it is recommended to increase your assortment of products under $100, and feature stocking stuffers.
- Focus on gifts by category and also by price point. For example, “Gifts Under $50,” “Unicorn-Themed Gifts” or “Everything She needs for A Trip to the Ski Cabin.”
- Do not forget the mistletoe and trimmings – it is okay to be seasonal here! Think red bows, candy canes, trees, pinecones, menorahs, dreidels, etc.
- For apparel or shoe retailers that are not perfectly gift-able, promote gift cards front-and- center.
- If you offer gift wrapping, call attention to it!
- Highlight products with personalization or monogramming – This is perfect for gifting (do not forget to include order deadlines, though!).
- Make sure shipping deadlines for Christmas delivery are clearly highlighted throughout your communications and on your website.
- Clearly label exclusive products so the consumer knows a Google search for the same item will be futile.
- Take space to describe and depict your community and philanthropic connections and initiatives; they matter to your customers and prospects – especially Millennials, but Gen Xers and Baby Boomers appreciate businesses with consciences, too.
- Do not forget other holidays like Friendsgiving, a second Thanksgiving for groups of friends.
Here’s to a stunning and holiday season!